Home > Research > Publications & Outputs > Deo Leadership


Text available via DOI:

View graph of relations

Deo Leadership: How Design Executive Officers Lead Creative Organisations in Korea

Research output: Contribution to Journal/MagazineJournal articlepeer-review

<mark>Journal publication date</mark>31/12/2022
<mark>Journal</mark>Strategic Design Research Journal
Issue number3
Number of pages16
Pages (from-to)318-333
Publication StatusPublished
<mark>Original language</mark>English


The purpose of this study was to investigate how Design Executive Officers (DEOs) manage creative employees. It differs from prior leadership research in creative industries in three ways; it focused on DEOs, specified their influences on an organisational level, and discovered Korea-specific insights. We conducted in-depth interviews with the seven DEOs who have run their own design agencies for over ten years and hired more than 50 employees in Korea. Our thematic analysis of the 287 quotations collected revealed that 75% of the quotations fit the existing leadership framework and the remaining 25% are two unique attributes of DEO leadership: attitudes toward deeds and business growth. We further verified our thematic analysis by recruiting DEOs and conducting an online survey. Our findings contribute to the academic discussion on design-driven entrepreneurship by shedding light on the changing role of designers in the entrepreneurial landscape.